Sunday 18 January 2009

Dubai Airport on Airport

It's 3:35 in the morning and I'm standing in the technology shop of Dubai Airport testing out one of the new Apple MacBooks on the laptop stand. They have kindly connected it to the internet via Airport. Fantastic. Earth, Wind and Fire are playing on iTunes. I've been playing around with the click anywhere mouse pad and four finger controls, I've checked my email and checking the bad news about the weather in NE England. Rain, 5 oC during the day, -2 oC at night! Oh my God, that is going to be a shock,

I'm actually cold now, which is why I'm up playing with techno toys rather than asleep as Georgia is on one of the snooze recliners behind the main drag of the airport-cum-shopping mall. Georgia is sleeping because she thought to pack her sarong. I snoozed briefly before the cold caught up and woke me up. I think I now know the Arabic for the number 2 as all the gates here, we're in Terminal 3, start with the number 2 and I've listened to a lot of departure announcements. It is something like 'Ithnen'. Gate may be 'Soul'.

We've another 4 hours until our flight and I think I'll need a cup of tea when Georgia wakes up for me to warm up. Typing is helping a little with warmth!

We had probably our best cup of tea for 10 weeks in Bangkok Airport where there is a Wittards of Chelsea cafe. Ah yes, that is what we have been missing. Strong tea with lots of flavours. To be fair, to quote Peter Beardsley, however, our last hotel in Bangkok did serve Twinings tea AND a choice. It made a great change from the one-dimensional Pale Imitator that is Lipton Yellow Label.

No comments: