Saturday 15 December 2007

San Ignacio

12th-14th December

San Ignacio lies nestled at the confluence of two valleys in the western hills of Belize. We left Indian Church at 7am, receiving a lift from the owner of our guest house with her family, half of who were visiting the hospital in Orange Walk. Two local buses later, via Belize City, and we were in San Ignacio about 4pm. We arrived tired and me with a strangely swollen left foot, the latter probably a result of a scratch and narrow spaces between the seats combined with keeping my camera bag between my feet. A sort of low altitude DVT threat in the making. We shook off one over-enthusiastic tour guide who met us straight off the bus but while sitting in the park as Georgia investigated a campsite with cabanas just outside town I struck up a conversation with a friendly laid-back guide called D’Alessandro who only told me about things I asked.

The town itself isn’t immediately pretty but set in beautiful forested hills. The main highlights were:

Kayaking 14km down the River Macal, passing between forested hills, cruising over rapids and picnicking on a sand bank.

Macal River

Macal Mirror Pelvis

Eating at the South Indian Restaurant!

Meeting Ras Far I, a very gentlemanly Rastafarian from Jamaica

Counting 14 iguanas in adjacent trees.

Meeting the many very friendly, laid-back people of Belize.

No comments: