Wednesday 17 October 2007

Tarantula!

On my way along the road to the nearest fruit and veg shop I was enjoying the hundreds of fireflies buzzing their tiny little yellow lights on the verge and the flat grassland between the road and the lake. I was thinking how peaceful a sight this is when a large black thing scuttled across the road. This has to be a spider I thought so hurried to see it close up before it reached the verge. When I got near it stopped. I stopped. I looked at it and I’m sure it looked at me. Who would make the first move? Well, I took it in. Eight long black hairy legs and a great big black hairy body. And two big things sticking out from its front that looked like they might be used in biting. A bloody tarantula, not that it was covered in the blood of any victims you understand, but the first real life tarantula I’ve seen. The spider of childhood legends and tales of explorers poisoned in the jungle. So I moved on. I had seen how quick it could amble after all. Just think how quick it could move if angered.

On the way back from the shop I saw another one. Two in one night! But now the shadows were deepening on the road and I couldn’t necessarily tell which could hide a tarantula in its darkness.

Next time I’ll get a picture!

No comments: